Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Stimulating the Grey Matter - Further Reading

As well as singing my heart out on the Kop, as well as endlessly diverting every conversation I have back to football, I also take a bit of a cerebral approach to the game. I am one of football's 'students' and ever keen to learn more and more - despite its direct correlation to the amount of friends I keep.

Here's a few sites and books that I have come across that I urge people to take a look at:

www.zonalmarking.net

Dedicated to "Football tactics, formations, diagrams, chalkboards and graphs" it helps you understand why Benitez persists in playing Babel on the left, why he bought Alonso when he did (and indeed why he sold him) and why Fergie has frequently played 6 midfielders (in the days before Rooney went up top).

Football 365 - Statistics
Need to know how many times Liverpool have gone a goal behind only to fight back to win? Need to know how villa have fared against the lower half of the division? Need to see whether we should fear Preston North End in the next round of the cup. This website will help you answer those questions.

http://www.eurofootplayers.org/
Anotehr stats-based website that focusses on the changing european and Global environment, player movements and average ages, and attempts to correlate it to the success of teams.

The Bleacher Report
A collection of educated and frankly uneducated but nonetheless passionate fans are encouraged to blog their thoughts on the teams they follow. A good read and more often than not it's controversial enough to stimulate conversation down the pub!

Football Ramble
The boys doing this podcast never cease to make me laugh my tits off.

No comments:

Post a Comment