Thursday, June 03, 2010

Best Wishes Rafa - you served us well

I like Rafa - always have done, always will. But I'm not bothered that he has gone - he was expendable in my opinion.

He bought some fantastic players, changed our Academy structure (though no big results yet) and believed in the Liverpool name. Just like Houllier did. He won some cups, won some big games (inc humbling United) and almost won the title. Just like Houllier did. He also made some big fat errors, glaring mistakes and lost the support of the Kop over recent months. Just like...you guessed it.

He will always be bought a drink by me, i will always want to spend a week learning his methods, but that is because I look up to him. The trouble is though that I'm not sure the players did.

No-one is bigger than Liverpool and though it sounds Real Madrid-ish I only care about the players and how they perform. We do not know if Rafa going will have convinced key players to stay or go - only they can tell us that. But just like Gerrard or Torres or Masch going, Liverpool is bigger than that.
The biggest risk to my happiness is whether Liverpool DO stay bigger than one man, and that is about the Yanks leaving. Everything else pales into comparison when you consider our very existence is in danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment