Friday, November 05, 2010

Anfield's 12th man

A lot has happened since I was able to find the time to blog.

NESV has successfully completed their takeover of Liverpool FC, heralding an age of no/low debt and fierce ambition.

Back to back victories have been achieved with fantastic performances from the likes of Krygiakos, Lucas, Gerrard and Maxi that have got the fans believing again.

And I went to Poland.

All of which hold equal importance for me, and whilst I had to sit in the omnipresent Irish pub in Krakow to watch our ground out victory v Bolton, my real joy that weekend was going to see my new Polish favourite team - KS Cracovia. The sixth most successful team in the country, yet trailing the 'bigger names' of Wisla Krakow, Lech Poznan and Legia Warsaw, the club has been through incredible turmoil over the last 30 years - bouncing up and down all four divisions like the proverbial Manchester City. But housed in a fantastic new stadium (surely the envy of all Championship teams) the team have scraped back into the top flight and are fighting for their lives.

To be honest, a couple of full-backs and workaholic striker aside, they're crap. Total tosh that my workmates could give a run for their Zlotys. But totally unparalleled was their support. The Cracovia 12th man. Here were a set of fans in a 2/3rd full stadium chanting organised songs and dances for two hours with such passion, vitriol and (probable) encouragement that I felt a little ashamed. 4 points from 10 games, losing 1-0 at home to another average team, no Scouse pie available and certainly no beer, yet they sang and sang and sang. And bounced and boucned and bounced. Repeat til full time.

The natural comparisons therefore - as I sat with a Rochdale FC season ticket holder - were with the slightly spoilt but skint English fan who sits and waits for something to happen before they will cheer the team on. Now I've never been one of those - even I was screaming my English coaching tips across the heads of Polish fans who might never have stepped foot outside their own nation - but I do sit amongst plenty of people on the Kop who enjoy a good moan.

Before and after the match, yes. Even occasionally when a player does something REALLY stupid. But when a Liverpool player who has been picked by the Liverpool manager to represent the Liverpool fans and club goes out onto the pitch I really want him to do well. And I know that screaming obscenities at him is not going to help. If you don't like Poulsen, Konchesky, Lucas (I firmly disagree on the latter) by all means suggest that they are sold in January, but you HAVE to support them when they are wearing the red.

There is a new wave of fan who seem to want to rely on John Henry or Tom Werner being Liverpool's 12th man.

It has always been and must always be us.

No comments:

Post a Comment